Yumi’s Sweet Potato and Roasted Cashew Pierogi
Makes 64 (serves 8-10). This recipe will make a double portion of dough. Double the filling to make 128 or use the dough to make pasta for another meal.
1 tub Yumi’s Sweet Potato and Roasted Cashew
Salt and pepper
2 brown onions, peeled and finely chopped
60ml extra virgin olive oil
1 large egg
2 tbsp sour cream
310ml whole milk
900g plain flour, plus extra to dust
- To make the filling, bring 2L salted water to the boil. Add potatoes and boil until soft (about 20-25 mins). Mash potatoes and stir through Yumi’s Sweet Potato and Roasted Cashew dip and butter. Season to taste then allow to cool completely while you make the dough.
- To make the dough, in the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together egg and sour cream until well combined. Whisk in the milk and water.
- Using kneading attachment, knead in flour, 1 cup at a time, until the dough comes together. Turn out onto a floured bench and knead by hand for a further 6-8 mins until smooth and elastic. Roll into a ball, cover with clean tea-towel and allow to rest at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Cut the ball into quarters. You will use two quarters for this recipe. Working with one quarter at a time (keeping the other covered), cut the portion into a further 4 quarters.
- Roll each portion through pasta machine, starting at the widest setting then folding the dough and repeating before moving down to the next width until you reach the second thinnest setting.
- Cut 8 x 9cm rounds from each sheet (you may need to gather the leftover dough and re-roll to make enough rounds).
- Hold a dough circle in the palm of your hand. Spoon a tablespoon-sized portion of the filling into the centre then fold the dough over to form a half-moon shape. Tightly press the edges to seal. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- To cook, bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Boil pierogi, 6 at a time, for 2-3 mins until the dough is soft and cooked.
- Heat oil in a large frypan over medium heat. Sauté onions 5-6 mins until golden. Serve pierogi with fried onions spooned over the top.