Yumi’s Mayo Choc Mudcake
Preheat oven to 170ºC (150ºC fan). Grease and line 2 x 17cm round
2 tsp vanilla bean paste
150g good-quality dark chocolate, melted
300g plain flour, whisked together with 1 tbsp baking
2 tbsp cacao powder
240g brown sugar
110g caster sugar
240ml icing sugar mixture, sifted
35g cocoa, sifted
- Combine mayonnaise and vanilla bean paste with 1 cup (250ml) water and melted chocolate in a large bowl. Beat with an electric beater (you can also use a stand mixer) until combined.
- Add flour mixture, cacao, brown sugar and a tiny pinch of salt. Starting on a low speed, beat until all the flour is incorporated mixture then increase speed to medium-high and continue to beat until thick and creamy (about 4-5 mins).
- Meanwhile, to make icing combine butter, caster sugar and 80ml water in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly,until sugar has dissolved completely. Remove from heat, whisk in icing sugar mixture and cocoa. Refrigerate until the icing thickens to a spreadable consistency.
- Divide mixture evenly between the two prepared tins. Bake for 45-50 mins until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow cakes to cool completely in the tins.
- To decorate, use a serrated knife to level the cakes (cut off any dome from the tops). Evenly spread ½ cup icing on one cake layer then top with the remaining cake layer. Use a spatula to apply the rest of the icing to the outside of the cake. Pipe icing on the top to decorate.