Yumi’s Cabbage Rolls with Red Capsicum and Cashew Sauce
Makes 10 rolls
1 1/2 brown onions, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
1/2 red capsicum, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, grated
500g beef mince
500g pork mince
200g finely chopped streaky bacon
1 ½ cups cooked and cooled jasmine rice
1 tsp Vegeta
1 head of pickled cabbage (sauerkraut head)*
Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
2 cups beef stock
4 tbsp tomato paste
1 tub Yumi’s Red Capsicum and Roasted Cashew Dip
Juice of ½ lemon
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (160ºC fan).
- Heat butter in a large frypan over medium heat. Add onions, celery, capsicum and carrot and saute until softened (about 5-6 mins). Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool completely.
- In a large bowl combine beef and pork mince, uncooked bacon, rice and Vegeta. Add cooled vegetables, season generously and stir well to combine.
- Arrange 10 pickled cabbage leaves on a clean work surface. Place ½ cup of the mince filling into the centre of each leaf then fold the bottom of the leaf over the filling to cover. Fold in the sides of the leaf then roll to enclose. Repeat with remaining leaves and filling.
- Arrange the rolls in a large, deep oven-safe dish.
- To make the sauce, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and stir, frying, until lightly golden. Add beef stock gradually, whisking to incorporate. Stir in tomato paste and allow to simmer 3-4 mins until thickened. Remove from heat, stir in the dip and lemon juice and season to taste.
- Pour the sauce over the cabbage rolls and bake for 40-45 mins until cooked through.
*pickled cabbage heads are available from good delis.